Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

Service Advent Calendar

As Ryan and I got a little carried away with out Black Friday shopping we both realized we need to think more about others.  We're really good at serving one another, but it's time to go outside our marriage comfort zone.  I've seen Service Advent Calendars floating around pinterest and decided that is just what we need!  They made theirs all pretty:

service advent for kids - fill each bucket with a small candy and a service activity to do that day.Christmas advent calendar with service projects to do on each "tag". This does not include the service ideas but I dont mind coming up with those . Cute24 days of Service Advent Calendar

However, I'm not much of a "make things pretty" person unless it's permanent (like our stockings or our tree advent calendar).  Therefore, mine is much less impressive.

I was going to put the list of activities AFTER you saw the picture, but blogger is being silly so here is the list of service opportunities that we came up with.  Most of them (okay all of them) came from others' suggestions.  I think there is a good variety of quick/easy, extra thought required, time consuming, costing money, etc. Most of the lists were for children, so it was actually a little difficult to find 24 that weren't things such as "read a book to your little brother."
  1. Pick up any trash you see laying on the ground 
  2. Write a letter to a loved one
  3. Address and mail Christmas cards 
  4. Do Family History Together
  5. Put money in a Salvation Army cup
  6. Help at the Food Bank
  7. Anonymously give flowers to someone
  8. Go caroling
  9. Say hello and smile to everyone you meet today
  10. Pray for those you know need a little extra help
  11. Leave change in the vending machines for the next person
  12. Buy hot cocoa for Salvation Army bell ringers
  13. Make a meal for a friend
  14. Purchase a toy for a child in need
  15. Bake and deliver Christmas treats
  16. Organize a potluck with friends
  17. Speak kindly all day long - NO complaining!
  18. Buy and deliver Christmas gifts for a family in need
  19. Leave a gift for the mailman
  20. Tape candy canes and "Happy Holidays" notes on ATM's, vending machines, etc.
  21. Attend the Temple
  22. Offer to babysit for a friend for free
  23. Write a quick note to five people telling them how much you appreciate them.
  24. Find the home with the best Christmas lights and write a thank you card

    So there you have it! You should give it a try, I'm really looking forward to it.
     



Classy, huh?
               


  


   






















                      
               


 


3 comments :

  1. I love that your list is on notebook paper, and not even on computer paper! But, you jazzed it up with a Christmas tree! You're so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really great idea! How have I missed this on pinterest?! I might steal your list. Those are really good ones!

    ReplyDelete