Pages

Monday, May 21, 2012

Summer and Rebellion

NC summer is here.

Not because it's 95 degrees with 95% humidity, yet.  But the bugs have arrived in full force.  I honestly forgot how big and gross the bugs are here, especially living in the forest.  The spiders have kindly been reminding us year round that this is their turf, and now the slugs, beetles, moths, and soon the cicadas have taken over, too.

If they just stay out of my way, I really don't mind.  They can be on the sidewalks, stairs, flying around, and even on our front door.  But the second they fly or crawl INTO my house, GAME OVER.  They're disgusting and I have no sympathy for them.  Want to know the worst thing about them?  They hit me in the face while running.  It creeps me out TO THE MAX.  I'm not just running through swarms of gnats, it's full-grown bugs crashing into my forehead and cheeks.  You better believe I keep my mouth shut as much as possible, even if it restricts my breathing patterns.  I've swallowed a few and I have no intentions of doing it again.

Onto part 2: Rebellion

Our perfect little Ryno is going through the terrible 2's or something.  It's great for building patience for future children, I can tell you that.  We were training him to run beside us off-leash and he was doing great! Then I don't know what hit.  He's suddenly become extra curious and aware of the world around him and will not listen.  He runs way ahead, or stays behind sniffing and even when we're out of sight, it takes him awhile to join us.  Not like him at all.  He's also taken up whining.  He whines at the front door when I'm turning the key, whines if I haven't pet him enough for his liking, whines if I have my tennis shoes on but haven't taken him outside yet, whines if we're outside but not running yet.  This also needs to stop.  I'm hoping it's just a phase.

On a cuter, but still rebellious note, his instincts have kicked in and he LOVES sticks.  There are plenty to choose from outside our apartment and he just runs back and forth until he finds the perfect one.  Insert rebellious phase - then he won't come inside.  We thought it was so adorable when he found his first stick that we let him bring it inside. BIG MISTAKE.


2 comments :

  1. This is my life. And has "Tucker" written all over it. He's so good inside, but outside? That's a whole different set of rules. Rules like, you can run as far as you want to and don't have to come back until you want to. And he's into sticks too. Isn't that a funny "instinct" thing? We DEF never taught him that. But they get alll over our house too. These dogs would get along so well lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! I feel like I wrote the first part of your blog. The bugs here are HUGE and I too do not mind them until they come into the house. I actually save them outside from time to time(little beetles stuck on their backs or worms stranded in the middle of the sidewalk mostly), but in the house is just not okay. Good luck with Ryno! I'm sure it will pass. Animals really are good training for children!

    ReplyDelete