Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Yep, New Years Resolutions.

Alright ladies, (I won't even call out the gentlemen, because Ryan is most likely the only one who reads this blog) a new year is upon us and with that comes resolutions.  I am the first to admit I am terrible at setting goals.  In fact, I never even bothered to set them until last year.  The whole being married thing and having someone to report to and hold me accountable is definitely a factor in that one.

Ryan and I are very realistic in my goals.  I'm going to be honest with you here.  We are terrible at doing the things we should be doing (aka praying together, reading our scriptures, etc).  So we go with Ryan's life motto which is, "Aim low and achieve."  

Here are our goals. I figure the more I share them, the more they might actually happen.  If you would be so kind as to keep reading and to comment, you will see where I can use your help!

  • Our focus is ATTITUDE! (Last year it was HABITS... we are still working on those same habits)
  • Read the Doctrine and Covenants together (keep on track with Sunday school)
  • Pray once a day together (at least)... like I said "Aim low and Achieve"
  • Attend the temple once a month with a purpose in mind each time
  • Take 20 family names to the temple
  • Remember to fast each month for 2 meals (with a purpose)
  • Go on a planned date once a month
  • Make holidays special days (learn the meaning of each holiday) and develop traditions
  • Eat salad as a meal 2-3 times a week
  • Work out 3 times a week
Now, here is where I need your help.  In addition to reading the Doctrine and Covenants together, I want/need to improve my own scripture study.  Because let's be honest again, I suck at it. It is a daunting task.  Last year I read the entire Book of Mormon.  But again, I just read it, not STUDY.  Do I do that again?  Do I study by topic?  I've been wanting to study Preach My Gospel - do I do that? And how do I study? How do  YOU study?  I've been finding some help from blogs online that give some good tips.

The Redheaded Hostess gives a lot of great tips if you are interested.  One of her biggest tips, and one I just heard as a recommendation on Sunday as well is to keep a study journal.  Do any of you do this? I'm definitely thinking about it...

Last item of advice, por favor: Holiday traditions.  Put your thinking caps on and do share what you used to do as a family growing up or what you do now as a young family.  Lately I've heard myself saying over and over again, "I'm not a holiday person." But that's boring.  It's time to stop being boring and make holidays fun.  

Here's to 2013!!

4 comments :

  1. Okay, I started commenting about the study tips and then realized I was getting long-winded. (I might remember to make my own post about it sometime.) Suffice it to say that everyone has to study differently at different times in their life. It may work to study by topic now, and it might work to study by book later on.
    I don't keep a scripture/study journal, per se, but I do have a journal dedicated for recording spiritual moments and impressions. Some of which happen as I study the scriptures.

    As for holidays, maybe you can focus on finding one tradition per holiday that you want to do EVERY year. (And maybe some others that sound good or happen if they happen, etc.) My favorite holiday tradition is actually on Thanksgiving. Between dinner and dessert, many of us take what we call a Turkey Walk. It started because my cousins got points for a challenge at their elementary school for every person they got to walk for 15 minutes or something. We liked it so much we kept it.

    P.S. I love Ryan's motto. I might just have to adopt it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all about aiming low so that I can actually achieve my goals this year. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed with your goals, regardless of if they are low or not. I find myself trying to reach a lot of those same goals year after year:). Anyway... while you were writing about "preach my gospel" I have actually wanted to study that myself, and it just hit me that a good way for me to read things is if I have to report about it to someone or do a "book club". Now since people are busy you could do it on a weekly basis, but if you're willing I would love to do a book club with who ever wants of preach my gospel and discuss favorite parts of each of the different sections/chapters. We could even take it slow and do just a few pages per week. We could start it out as a group on FB and then people could join or whatever. There's my two cents on the matter.
    As for traditions... we're still trying to figure that out, but Steven and I like to open up one of the big gifts to each other on Christmas Eve so we can just focus on the kids on Christmas. That way we can really show our appreciation to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your goals are quite lofty. Good luck with them. I have been ready the Pearl of Great Price Institute manual. There is some really awesome stuff in there. I like it because I feel like I get the growth and information like I'm studying but I am actually just reading.

    Traditions? Throw a party. That will a least force you to get holiday decorations right?

    ReplyDelete