Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

Taking a Step Back to Look Forward

That's a really deep heading, isn't it?  Well, whether you like it or not, this is another serious post.  Maybe one of these days I'll get around to posting some pictures of the last month because I know most of you just scroll through the photos and skip the words anyway.  I'm often guilty of that on your blogs too.  So don't worry, the feelings are mutual.

With the new year and moving (again) I'm just trying to formulate a plan for my life.  The problem is, I have no plan and no ideas.  I was supposed to start my job back up at UNC when we move back to North Carolina in 2 weeks, but my boss retired leaving me once again unemployed.  Then, when we come back to Omaha in May I will need a job to keep me sane and productive

So what do I do?

  • I don't want to be an Engineer or anything like it (thank you five years of school for nothing).
  • I don't have time in NC to get a real job - so I'm thinking craft store again, it is!
  • I realize that Graphic Design is what I really love and I can get by learning on my own but I kind of want official training.  So do I take some classes at the community college? Work to actually get my associates?
  • Do I just use this time to develop all the talents and hobbies that I will never have time to learn again?
  • Do I use my current talents to create an Etsy shop? But let's be honest, there are thousands of women out there with my same talents selling the exact same things I can make.  Although I would love it, I'm not too hopeful on this one.
  • Do you all judge me and think I'm a lazy bum for not having worked since June? Because let's be honest, that's what worries me the most.  Why do we do this to ourselves? I had a breakdown a few weeks ago because I feel like I have nothing that defines me anymore.  I used to be "the engineer" or "the music girl" or "wifey" but with all these transitions I feel lost.  I meet new people and feel like a nobody. I want to be ME again, but I have to figure out who that is.  And don't you worry, my freak-out was due to hormones and I just suppress those feelings until they come around next month. :)
Wanna know the original plan? I was supposed to be pregnant by now but that hasn't happened, yet.

So seriously, what do I do?

3 comments :

  1. I just saw something on someone else's blog that included the quote "Wherever you are, be all there." I have no idea if that helps or not.
    There's a workbook associated with the LDS Career Workshop that might be a pretty good way for you to figure all this out. You can ask your ward employment specialist or clerk for a hard copy.
    Here's a link about it, and there's a link to the PDF version of the workbook at the bottom.

    https://www.ldsjobs.org/ers/ct/articles/the-career-workshop?lang=eng

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put out a shingle as a free-lance graphic designer and contact a bunch of publications in this area or in the area you are moving to after a bit.

    And then do whatever you want. :) You have the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, babies do seem to have their own schedule, don't they? And let me tell you a little secret, it doesn't change. Ever.

    Why do we always worry what people think? I used to feel judged because I didn't have kids. Now part of me feels judged for having a kid at 24, and the other part feels judged that I only have one. Its all in our heads! I say, rock the part time until you get a baby. Then you're not trying to build a career that you're (hoping to) not work in for very much longer.

    Bottom line: make you happy. Forget everyone else.

    ReplyDelete