Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

I'm a cheater...

I'm cheating on this blog.

Shocking, I know!

I started another blog, but none of you can read it.  It's my journal, and I'm loving journaling now that I can let it all spill out through the keyboard.  (Sorry, I'm not ready to let it out for all of you to read).  I've always been a fan of journaling. I have quite a few finished journals from when I was younger.  But then life got busy and I didn't write about a lot of important events.  I wrote maybe three times in the first two years of Ryan and I's marriage.  Sad, huh? I tried writing in a Word document once, but it just didn't feel right to me.  One of my new years resolutions this year was to journal once a week and it ended up being about once a month, which isn't too bad either considering how long it takes to hand write something.  I was failing (I always do. I'm not much of a goal maker for that reason).

But then there it was.  Like a light bulb in a dark closet. BLOG. Duh. A few women at church mentioned that they use a private blog and I was in love with the idea.  Not totally in love, because I will miss the personal aspect of my handwriting, but excited to know that I will now actually keep track of my life events.  I don't know why, but it is a much better alternative to me than a word document.  And it is.  With a word document you either have to create one big long document, or save each day to a separate file and that gets messy.  But on a blog, it's all there right in front of you! I can scroll through and read old posts on my homepage or select a certain post from the list.  

GENIUS I tell you, GENIUS.

If you want to write in a journal but struggle to find the time, I highly recommend it.  Think about how much time we spend on the computer anyway.  Just open up another tab and jot down your thoughts.  You'll be happy you did.  I sure am.

However, I find that I am now neglecting this blog because I write it all there.  Still working on a solution to that one, my friends. 

3 comments :

  1. Thanks for helping me realize why it's easier for me to use a blog than it is to use word docs. That "at-a-glance" feature blogs have that word docs don't is what it is.

    I actually keep the same blog; I just choose to keep some entries as drafts rather than post them. I found that getting some of the less impactful things out electronically allows me more time to journal some of the more "important" things on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of a private blog for journaling, but I don't think I can give up having a physical copy of my journals. I would write more often though if I could type instead of having to hand write.

    Is there a way to eventually print a blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caitlin, this is brilliant! I want so badly to keep a journal and have started at least 10 and made it about a week...two weeks tops. Writing does take a long time and my hand gets tired and I'm a perfectionist so if I mess up my writing a lot, I want to start over. It's exhausting to say the least. But this way it's fast and convenient and I can take it everywhere and put pictures with my written memories. Ah! I love this.

    Ashley, I know there is a way to print it. I know people that do. They keep their journal on here and print it yearly...I don't know how though. Sorry! But, it is possible. Maybe Google it. :0)

    ReplyDelete