I went to the doctor today. The lady doctor. I went to get an ultrasound to check to make sure everything was okay in there. I was first surprised when on the phone the nurse told me that it's not going to be on the outside like I've always seen on TV. I didn't know there was another kind, but I'd deal.
I didn't even think about who would be performing the exam. I guess I assumed a nurse. But the nurse left me to undress and a man doctor entered. Crap. I'm not a shy person, but to prevent awkward encounters like this one, I've always scheduled with lady OB/GYN's. This kid was young, too. His tag said MD but he was probably right out of school, or at least he looked it.
I don't know if he could sense my surprise/nervousness at that point but he complimented my toenail polish (which is a glittery turquoise - thanks Whit!). I don't know if that was his attempt to make it less awkward, but it definitely made it more awkward. Then he looked over and saw my shoes sitting on the ground and he just LOVED those! They are very cute, but again, how is this supposed to help the situation? Now I couldn't tell if he was just being nice or gay. Because he reiterated once more just how pretty my shoes were.
All in all, let's not repeat that encounter mmkay?
I didn't even think about who would be performing the exam. I guess I assumed a nurse. But the nurse left me to undress and a man doctor entered. Crap. I'm not a shy person, but to prevent awkward encounters like this one, I've always scheduled with lady OB/GYN's. This kid was young, too. His tag said MD but he was probably right out of school, or at least he looked it.
I don't know if he could sense my surprise/nervousness at that point but he complimented my toenail polish (which is a glittery turquoise - thanks Whit!). I don't know if that was his attempt to make it less awkward, but it definitely made it more awkward. Then he looked over and saw my shoes sitting on the ground and he just LOVED those! They are very cute, but again, how is this supposed to help the situation? Now I couldn't tell if he was just being nice or gay. Because he reiterated once more just how pretty my shoes were.
All in all, let's not repeat that encounter mmkay?
Hahahaha those, "not like on tv," ultrasounds are the WORST, right?? Sadly though, that wont be the last of them. At least your toes looked good though.
ReplyDeleteagh--that is awkward! my doctor now (who delivered Nolan) is a guy, and he's in his 50's, so he has seen everything. but once or twice, he'll come in the room and say "I have this student with me, is it okay if he/she watches?" And he did that with me when I had my surgery, and of course it was a young attractive guy. :(
ReplyDeleteI hope you get good results though!
floral&fudge
Yikes! Hopefully he can learn to make such encounters less awkward in the future.
ReplyDeleteHahahaha! I've never had an internal (are you trying to avoid the word vaginal? ;)), but I did know of their existence. Maybe I should have warned you. Glad I could assist in the awkwardness by providing fun nail polish! Male doctors, no matter their age, don't bug me...guess I'm immune to physician interactions.
ReplyDeleteTotally gay. For sure. Men don't notice those kind of things, and if they did they would continue with "my girlfriend/wife would love those." WEIRD!!!
ReplyDeleteYou'll get over it after having a kid. I never had a problem with it though. Me and Whitney are apparently awesome like that. lol
ReplyDeleteMy OBGYN is a guy, bug the ultrasound tech us is girl. The internal ones are the worst! Uncomfortable isn't exactly the right word though that's what she always uses. I agree with Ashley, once you have a baby, you won't care as much. After all the people that are checking you out down there, as long as I have a medical degree in that area, who cares.
ReplyDelete