Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Oh, the Kentucky Derby...

So we went to the Kentucky Derby.  However, we did NOT go to the Kentucky Derby that you have envisioned in your head.  You know - the pretty dresses with the gorgeous hats, seersucker suits, mint julep and other classy drinks in hand.  No, we went to the infield:

 "That whole thing will be jammed with people; fifty thousand or so, and most of them staggering drunk. It's a fantastic scene--thousands of people
fainting, crying, copulating, trampling each other, and fighting with broken whiskey bottles."
-
Native son Hunter S. Thompson

Other websites say there is usually around 80,000 people there and I would believe it.  This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience pretty much because I, personally, would not want to experience it again.  Oh sure, for 40 bucks I could pay to go another year - but NO THANK YOU.  Here's not to say we didn't have fun and see all sorts of sights (in fact I wish I could have just video taped everything my eyes saw) but it was enough to last me a lifetime.  If we do it again, I'll be paying the big bucks for the grand stands.

Now knowing what the infield is like, it was completely appropriate for our group to go with a denim white-trash theme. 


The florist at work and I created my hat - deeming me the "Produce Princess"
This hat was amazing! I had my picture taken over 50 times, received countless compliments,
was interviewed by the Kentucky news AND made it onto the newspaper's website! (#45)
EPIC.

Here are just some of the other sights we saw - clockwise from left in a spiral :)
1. The Grand Stand a.k.a The Kentucky Derby you envision
2. An airbrushed hard hat
3. A teeeeeeny tiny little jockey
4.  A man with a bloodied face from one of the TWO fights we witnessed
5. Elvises
6. Another awsome hat
7. Suprisingly one of the few mullets I noticed
8. Some of the classier folk
9.  Ross and the lime green suit he would like to wear next year

And finally - the stars of the Kentucky Derby - the horses.  We were able to see a few.

I hope this gave you a glimpse into possibly the most interesting day of my life.  I would say more, but there really are no words and not even enough pictures.  The quote above truly describes it all.  It is not a place for children and definitely not for the faint of heart. 

1 comment :

  1. Someday I will be in the Grand Stand with all the swanky people and you will be in the pit where you obviously love it. Yet another insurmountable difference between us :)

    ReplyDelete