Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Making Mom Proud, Part 3

I want you all to realize that I know I'm living quite the good life right now with no responsibilities other than to put dinner on the table every night.  I'm trying to take advantage of all this free time that I won't have again until I'm an empty nester. Being the perfectionist planner that I am, I want perfect stockings for my family.  I bought the fabric last year, but spent all the time making my advent calendar.  When I tell people at church that I've been making Christmas stockings, I don't think they understand the extent of my Christmas stockings...

Now I debated showing this picture or not because it shows how anal/crazy I am and just how much time I have on my hands.  When I say I want perfect stockings for my family, I'm including my future-non-existent-children-I-don't-have-yet.  So besides Ryan, Ryno, and my stockings, I'm making five extra.  Go ahead, call me crazy.  Maybe I'm cursing myself, maybe it's bad luck, but I don't care.  We've talked about having 4-6 children so I settled on making 5 stockings with some extra fabric stashed to the side just in case.  It's my time, I will do with it what I want!  So here are the stocking tops (minus Ryan's - I was waiting on Husker fabric from my mom).

Pardon the quality of all the pictures, I took them from my iPhone because I was lazy.


I've gotta say, quilting is a lot harder than it looks! The concept is easy enough: you cut and sew a bunch of square/triangles together.  Execution? Not so easy.  My mom deserves a lot of credit for the amazing quilts she makes with matching corners! With 30 years experience, maybe mine will look as good as hers.

I made my stocking first, but I was a little hasty. You'll see later...
 

Ryan's was next.  Do you see the difference? Besides the obvious difference in patterns?
Let me help - PIPING.  I jumped the gun on mine and forgot I was going to do piping.
 

So what did I do? Took mine apart and redid it.  Yep, ANAL.  I also changed the cuff because I didn't want both mine and Ryan's to be green and he really wanted green. 

Don't you LOVE them? I sure do!!  
Oh and in case you're wondering, I got the idea from here.
But I used the template from here.
And what's a post without a few pictures of our cute puppy? He loves them, too.

4 comments :

  1. Don't you mean you got the pattern from me? You're copycatting my stockings...kind of. I know we'll end up with different stockings! Lookin' good, Cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if I'm more impressed or jealous. Let's go with: impressed by your talents and jealous of the time you (currently) have to develop them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW-SERS. I'm pretty sure our stocking are felt with hot glued embellishments. I can't think about your cute stockings or I'll feel like I need to make new good ones. And I just can't commit to that.

    ReplyDelete